Monday 25 June 2012

Homesick!


I have to admit when I first moved to Africa, it was a little difficult for me to adapt. Although I initially looked forward to having a completely new experience and way of life for the next few months, at times I really missed my old lifestyle. I missed my life, my city.

Whenever things did not go in my favour I would think about the fact that I was not in my own environment of familiar surroundings and a lifestyle that I was well adapted to. This made me sad and I also expected my husband to be sad for me. I wanted him to feel sorry for me. In the beginning he did. When I would cry he would be right there with me, patting me on the shoulder, but after a while the whole “woe is me” act got a bit old and my husband got sick of it…

So, with no sympathy vote from my husband, I was forced to take some time for reflection and evaluation. It was then that I realised my attitude stank! I began to think deeper about what I could do to change and it was then that I had an “ah-ha!” moment!
I realised that though my body was in Togo, my heart was still in London. I had failed to make Togo my “home for now”. I looked around and nothing reflected me. I was still a stranger, even in my marital home. I decided it was time for change…

I redecorated our place so that it reflected me a little more. Also, when going through my things I found some CDs of songs that a friend had recorded for my wedding day. These were songs that I personally chose and put together on a list for her to record. I put one of the CDs into my laptop and began listening. Even that small action made a difference – finally there was something of me in the place – something that reflected me. I finally began to feel at home.

Only when I decided to get out of alien mode, was I able to see all of the good things that Togo has to offer and the many things I could do whilst I am out here.

I learned a valuable lesson in all of this. Adapting to new environments can be difficult, especially when the new environment is completely different to anything you are used to! However, if you refuse to adapt, you will miss out on great opportunities and experiences you may not have otherwise had!
Naturally, there are still some things that I miss and will continue to miss about London. They are:
  • My family
  • The constant flow of electricity
  • Being on the Pearls and Perils radio show with my pals 
  • Going out on the town with my friends
  • Sunday dinner with my family
  • Haagen Dazs CafĂ©
  • The absence of mosquitos
  • Eastenders


Nevertheless, there are many things I love about Togo and I have decided to devote my next blog to sharing those things with you!

J

1 comment:

  1. Well done Mell,
    This is maturity
    God bless you and your Hubby.

    ReplyDelete